Oliviers, a Calgary Tradition Since 1909


Hard candy being poured in Olivier's candy store, Calgary, Alberta.

The Olivier's Story - A Tradition Since 1909

Olivier's Candies is one of the oldest continuously operated businesses in Western Canada. We've witnessed the birth of the Province of Alberta, the Great Depression, two World Wars and a few oil booms! Along the way, we've changed a bit, we've grown, we've moved, and we've adapted to a changing market. Despite these changes, we've never lost sight of our purpose to provide the finest confections possible to generations of loyal Customers.

Today, Olivier's crafts a variety of Candy and Chocolate creations. Our old fashioned products, like our European Chocolates, Giant Candy Canes and Creamy Caramel Specialties, are still crafted by hand using century-old recipes and techniques.

Our proud beginnings: Gaspard Olivier moved to Calgary in 1909 in the midst of the first of many economic booms that would strike this Western city. Gaspard established a bake shop in the heart of downtown and soon expanded his bakery offerings to include candy and ice cream. Known as "The Geisha", the brightly decorated shop became a popular social gathering place for Calgary residents on a Saturday evening.

Gaspard sold the original shop in 1913, and soon opened another candy shop in Medicine Hat. By 1924 he was back in Calgary where he set up a candy factory and retail store just two blocks from his original location at 1005 1St. S.W.

For some 50 years, Gaspard and his son Maurice (Bud) Olivier, operated this Calgary landmark until 1971 when the business was sold to Allan and James Jensen. The Jensens were young candy makers from Salt Lake City who quickly found a home in Calgary and expanded the business in the midst of another economic boom generated by Alberta's burgeoning oil and gas sector. In 1971 Olivier's relocated to Inglewood where scores of Calgarians have experienced the glass-fronted candy kitchen watching Candy Makers create delicious Barks, Brittles and handmade Candy Canes.

Wally and Rachelle Marcolin, owners of Oliviers Candies Ltd

In 2002 the business was sold to the current owners, Wally and Rachelle Marcolin. Though the Inglewood factory had become somewhat of a landmark, in 2006 Olivier’s moved to a larger factory in Calgary.

Today, Olivier's utilizes the latest technologies and is a thriving modern operation. Having said that, we still retain the old time flavour and techniques that stemmed from the Family tradition established back in 1909. Our Candy Canes are still made by hand one at a time and many of our recipes (including Peanut Brittle and Caramel that have been Customer favorites for so long) are still made with the original recipes!

Please Enjoy Our Products!